Monday, May 07, 2007

Ringing Rocks, Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania

This post is made up of photos of just one formation, a roughly sphere-shaped stone that we couldn't help but notice from the trail. I make no claims about it being man made or placed. I just took the pictures because after years of noticing rocks I would have to say this was one of the most extraordinary rocks I've ever seen.
In the above picture, you can see a flat stone lodged in the ground, edge-up. It was one of two.

These pictures are from all sides of this boulder and you can see it is round from every angle.

There were places where it almost looked as if chips had been knocked off it in order to shape it, as in the above if you click on and enlarge it. But that could be natural action happening. The type of rock at Ringing Rocks is completely different from any I've run across at stone sites in eastern PA and New Jersey. Completely different consistency from sandstone, quartz, shale, limestone, even the gneiss at the Oley Hills site. Funny stuff, really, and it seemed lighter than most per volume.


How large was this boulder? I probably came up to the flake or close to it, on its lowest side, and I'm 5' 3".

I mention this formation because I don't think anyone could come here, regarding this as a special or sacred place, and not notice this boulder. Even if it was in no way formed artificially, which is likely, I am certain that it was noticed. There are a number of extraordinary-looking boulders at Ringing Rocks, but this stood out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home